Deadline is 3 p.m., the Thursday prior to publication. Calendar items must be complete and correct when submitted. Items must be submitted on 8 1/2 x 11 (standard typing size) paper and include a contact telephone number.
• The Anson County Citizen Advisory Board to the Anson Waste Management Facility meets the fourth Tuesday of every month, September through May. There is no meeting in December, June, July or August, unless there is a called meeting. This board meets at 6 p.m., in the administration building of the Anson Waste Management Facility on US 74 West in Polkton.
• The Anson Women’s League meets the second Tuesday of each month, noon to 1 p.m. at Twin Valley Country Club. Attendees share lunch and host a guest speaker at each meeting. The cost of lunch is $8. Any woman who lives or works in Anson County is invited. RSVP to Lachet Leak at 704-475-0211 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday at 4 p.m. before the Tuesday meeting.
• Every Monday the Grace Senior Center will sponsor “Men and Ladies Afternoon Out” from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the center. Call 704-694-6616 for more information and to register.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at 8 p.m. in the A.A. Building on Country Club Road in Wadesboro. Call 704-694-6431.
• Narcotics Anonymous meets each Tuesday and Thursday at 8 p.m. in the A.A. Building on Country Club Road in Wadesboro. Call 704-694-6431.
• VFW No. 10403 Auxiliary meets the third Thursday at 7 p.m. at North Rutherford Street in Wadesboro.
• The Kilwinning Lodge No. 64, AF&AM, meets the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m.
• Lilesville Star Masonic Lodge No. 603 meets the Tuesday after the first Sunday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Lilesville Masonic Hall, across from Parsons Grove Church.
• The Wadesboro Rotary Club meets every Thursday at 12:15 p.m. at Twin Valley Country Club.
• The Anson County Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 860 meets on the last Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Hampton Allen Library’s Hardison-Bradley Room.
• The Anson County Child Care Association meets the third Thursday of every month at the extension office. The meetings will start at 6:30 p.m.
• The Anson County NAACP meets every third Sunday at 5 p.m. at the Hampton B. Allen Library. Call President Donnie Lewis at 704-694-6749 for more information.
• The Burnsville Recreation and Learning Center (BRLC) will have a Children and Youth night every Friday from 8 p.m. until 11 p.m. There will be a $5 admission fee to attend. The event is for children and youth ages 4-17. There will be DJ music, physical activities, games, comedy and, weather permitting, a three-point shoot-out contest. The entry fee for the contest will be $1. The winner will receive half the proceeds from the contest. Refreshments will be sold. Door prizes to be given out every half hour. Adult chaperones on site. Proceeds go to help operate the center.
• Anson County Veteran Services are open Tuesday through Thursday from 9 a.m.
to 4:30 p.m. The office is located in the old Belk building across the street from the courthouse in Wadesboro. The phone number is 704-694-4418; e-mails should be addressed to email@example.com.
• Grace Senior Center will offer its third six weeks program to seniors in Anson called "The Arthritis Foundation Exercise Classes." The program will be offered every Tuesday and Thursday from 2-3 p.m. beginning May 5 and ending June 11. To confirm or cancel classes, call Wanda Talbert at 704-694-6616.
• Grace Senior Center will offer a scrapbook workshop June 3, 10, 17, 24 and July 1 and 8 from 1:30-3 p.m. Bring a three-ring big notebook binder or picture album, pictures, scissors, paste and mementos. Call 704-694-6616 to register and to get additional information.
• Connections Family Program will sponsor a Lunch and Learn program on gang awareness at Calvary Episcopal Church from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Chris Kempf of the Fayetteville Police Department and the N.C. Gang Investigators Association will speak. Register by contacting Adrian Lovelace at 910-895-9553 or toll-free at 866-916-1493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• There will be a blood drive at First Presbyterian Church in Wadesboro. All donors to be entered in a drawing for a cruise for two. Must provide a photo ID. For more information call 1-800-448-3543 or visit www.redcrossblood.org.
• Grace Senior Center will host a Medicare sign-up event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for those eligible. Call Grace Senior Center at 704-694-6616 to register or for more information.
• Olde Mill Gallery & Studios will host the Spring Gallery Fest from 5-7 p.m. The gallery is located in the Lockhart-Taylor Center. There will be refreshments and a chance to meet with some of the 47 regional artists whose work will be on display.
• The monthly Alzheimer's support group meeting will be at 3 p.m. at Meadowview Terrace Assisted Living. The guest speaker will be Teresa Hoover from the Alzheimer's Association in Charlotte. For more information, call Teresa Pope at 704-994-9050 or Sandra Pliescott at 704-694-4106.
• The Anson High School athletic banquet will be held at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria.
• Zimmer & Friends will meet at Szechuan restaurant in Wadesboro at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call 704-694-4213.
• John Brewer Day at the Burnsville Recreation Center. Music from Country Legends Band 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Motorcycle Scholarship Ride at 1 p.m. Registration at noon. Horseshoe Tournament at 3 p.m. Lunch at 11:30 a.m. There will be fish, chicken and hot dogs. $7 per plate. For more information, call 704-826-8737 or 704-826-8182.
• The annual Pad and Priscilla Davis reunion will be at 12:30 p.m. at Cedar Grove Baptist Church on Cedar Grove Church Road off N.C.-742 N. Bring lunch. For more information, call 704-385-9795.
• The Anson Senior High School class of 1989 20-year reunion will be held at the Laverne Banquet Hall on the Wingate University campus. Registration is $50 per classmate and $35 per guest. The deadline to register is March 31. For more information, contact Cynthia Redfearn at 910-674-4354 or at email@example.com.
• Deadline to register for the 31st annual Bryan Adrian Summer basketball camp. Boys and girls age 5-18 are eligible. The camp is held at St. Ann's Catholic School in Charlotte from July 20 to July 24. Included on the staff are professional players Jason Capel and Donald Williams. For a free brochure, call 704-377-6387.
• R.E.A.D. Incorporated holds parenting workshops the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 6 p.m. at the Elliot Professional Center for anyone. You do not have to have a child enrolled in the R.E.A.D. Inc. program to participate. Daycare and refreshments are provided. Call 704-694-2610 for more information.
• The Burnsville Recreation and Learning Center holds evening hours: Mondays, 5:30-7:30 p.m., featuring a computer lab for children and adults, copy and fax service and a resource library available to the public for a small fee. Free GED evening classes are available Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-8 p.m.
• Pastors are needed as volunteer chaplains at Anson Community Hospital. For more information, call Anson Parish Nurse Cynthia Furr at 704-695-3233.
• Every first Sunday of the month from 1-3 p.m., the Burnsville Recreation and Learning Center will have its "1st Sunday Dinner." Lots of good food and fellowship. There is no charge for the meal, but donations are gladly accepted.
• Anson Community Hospice needs volunteers to give emotional, spiritual and personal support to patients and families. Office volunteers are also needed. Call 704-695-1595.
• The Grace Senior Center needs volunteers to deliver meals, Monday through Friday. Many elderly citizens, most of whom live alone, depend largely on this as their main meal of the day. Call 704-694-6616.
• Lillie Bennett Nursing Center seeks dedicated volunteer groups or individuals for weekend programs. Just one hour on Saturday or Sunday afternoons or evenings would be greatly appreciated by the residents. Volunteers can polish nails, sing, dance, make residents laugh or just sit and visit. Call Anitra Ingram at 704-695-3305/3301 if interested.
• Hospice Services of Anson County needs volunteers. Call Judy Treadaway 704-694-4880.
• AL-ANON meets every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the AA Building at 2177 Country Club Road in Wadesboro.
• A National Guard Support Group meeting is held at 6 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the National Guard Armory in Rockingham. Family and friends are invited. Call 910-895-5256 for more information.
• The Union County epilepsy adult support group meets the first Tuesday, monthly, at the United Way of Union County, 102 Franklin St., Monroe, from 7-9 p.m. Call 704-377-3262.
• A domestic violence support group meets every Monday night from 5:30-7 p.m. at the Anson County Domestic Violence Coalition in Wadesboro. Call 704-694-4499 for more information.
• The Healthy Ansonians Mobile Clinic is stationed at the Burnsville Volunteer Fire Department every third Tuesday from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Visits are free.
• The Anson County Human Relations Council meets at 6:30 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Allen Library.