Last updated: August 28. 2014 4:45PM - 458 Views
By Abby Cavenaugh acavenaugh@civitasmedia.com



Brothers Rondell Thompson, 15, and Mekhi Brooks, 11, helped save their home from a fire on Aug. 21, thanks to the fire safety education they received in school.
Brothers Rondell Thompson, 15, and Mekhi Brooks, 11, helped save their home from a fire on Aug. 21, thanks to the fire safety education they received in school.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Two young Wadesboro men are being hailed as heroes for helping protect their home against a fire last week.


Mekhi Brooks, 11, and Rondell Thompson, 15, were at home alone on Aug. 21, making themselves some food while their mother, Monica Brooks, was at work at Brown Creek Correctional in Polkton.


Wadesboro Fire Chief Marc Sessions said that although the leading cause of fires in America is unattended cooking, Mekhi and Rondell “did everything correctly.”


“They were right there at the stove,” Sessions said, “and the pot flamed up so they covered the pot, took it off the stove and turned the stove off. Then they evacuated the house and called 911 — exactly what they were supposed to do.”


Sessions said that when he arrived on the scene, the brothers were in their front yard. “One of the first things Mekhi said was that I had come to his school and he remembered what to do.”


The home sustained only minimal smoke damage, Sessions said, and neither of the young men were injured.


In a press release, Sessions stated, “This is why the Wadesboro Fire Department puts an emphasis on its prevention efforts and continues to expand its programs. It demonstrates the commitment made by the volunteer firemen to keep their community safe. We want to prevent fires from occurring, but we know that we won't stop all of them. But when they do happen, we want all the stories to have a happy ending like this one.”


The youngsters' mom said that they are humble about being recognized as heroes. “I just want to say I'm so very proud that the boys kept calm and remembered what they had been taught at school about escaping a fire,” she said. “This could have turned out very differently and I just thank God and [the Wadesboro] Fire Department for all they did and all they do for the community.”


Mekhi is a student at Wadesboro Elementary School, and Rondell attends Anson High School.

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute