Imari Scarbrough email@example.com
May 2, 2014
Three teenagers have been charged with making bomb threats to Anson High School and Anson Middle School late last month. They are being held at a juvenile detention center.
All three 13-year-olds were taken into custody on Wednesday by the sheriff’s department and were taken to a juvenile detention center in Gaston County.
As the suspects are juveniles, the sheriff did not release their names. The teens will be brought back to Anson County on Monday for a first appearance hearing, where a judge will determine whether they will be returned to detention until they appear in Juvenile Court a few weeks later, Allen said.
The teens will face additional punishment from the school system.
On April 24, a bomb threat was called in about Anson High School. On April 25, a similar threat was called in for Anson Middle School. Another bomb threat was called in for the middle school on April 28. In all three cases, the schools were evacuated and searched. No bombs or explosives were found.
Investigators were able to track the phone that was used to make the threats, even though the teens made efforts to remain untraceable.
“In addition to the seriousness of something like this, we spend precious man hours and man power by our officers; and then there is the disruption it causes the schools and the disruption of school classes,” Allen said. “Fortunately, and most often, and without going into details, I can tell you that we can trace these kinds of calls fairly quickly. The suspects were trying to be a little more careful with these calls this time and it took us a little longer. But now we have the phone that was used; we have the correct individuals; we know who their buddies are. And although they are only 13 years old, they are now seeing what the inside of a detention center looks like. I hope this sends a clear message that we take these kinds of situations very seriously and will come down as hard as we can on offenders.”